This review is part of the Lake Lanier Big Rig Project. Old Federal Campground is one of the nicest spots on Lake Lanier. Located on the west side of lake Lanier near Flowery Branch, Georgia. Big Expansive campsites right on the water.There are 84 campsites, 54 of them have Electric and we have identified 41 that are great for Big Rigs. Pics of all Big Rig spots are included below. We highly recommend this part and definitely would stay here. Great, Great Campground
Video someone shot driving around the Park
General Info: Old Federal Campground
- Website: Old Federal Campground
- Physical Address: 6219 Old Federal Rd, Flowery Branch, GA 30542
- Phone Number: (770)967-6757
- RV Daily Rate as of June 24, 2016: Depending on Spot $20-30
- RV Weekly Rate: No Discounts
- RV Monthly Rate: No Discounts
- Stay Limitations: You can only stay 14 days in any 30 day period
- Other Discounts: None that I am aware of
- Additional Information: The Park has large expansive roads and the biggest of big rigs should be able to get in here. Facilities include Showers, Laundry, Beach, Dump Station
- Site Pad Material: most of them are Level sites. They all have concrete pads
- Water: Yes, included with daily rate
- Electricity: Yes, included with daily rate
- Sewer: No – but there is a pump station
- Laundry: Yes
- Cable TV: No – but many of the sites have clear sites so satelite should work, .
- Wi-fi: No
- Dump Station: Yes
- Propane: No
- Pull Throughs: Some
- Back In: Some
- Big Rig Friendly: Most
- Pet Friendly: Yes (very)
Additional Information: This park is very Big Rig Friendly. We went and looked at all sites and took pics. The sites below should be able to handle any big rigs. Pics included in the Gallery.
Big Rig Capable Sites: 1,2,6,23,25-30,34-38,41-45,47,52,53,55,56,59,61,63-66,69-74
Cool Site: Site 69 is out on the pinnacle surrounded by water. (No shade though)
Things to do here
- We do not spend a lot of time in Flowery Branch but when we do here are a couple of places we usually stop at. Fish tales has great seafood and it is right on the water. Not to far from the campground.Loretta’s Country Kitchen serves cafeteria style and has great southern cooking for Breakfast and Lunch. Big Creek Tavern is a dive bar right off the lake with great bar food. We have been going there for years. Pig Tales on Lake Lanier is at Aqualand and the food and drink is not bad for a lunch while on the water or for a drive by.
- In Gainesville there are two restaurants that are worth the drive. Southern Recess Gastro Pub is an eclectic little bar right on the square with really good food. The Atlanta Seafood Market is an exceptional seafood restaurant for lunch in Little Mexico and we always go there when in Gainesville. Also closest to the Park is Olive Garden and a Cheddar’s (A very good franchise restaurant)
Things to Do
- This is a remote campground on the lake so obviously plenty of lake things to do. You can rent a boat from FIsh Tails Water Sports, Gainesville Marina or check out Boatbound – there are several listings out there as well. If you do go out on the lake the best restaurant is Fishtails and you do not want to miss Sunset Cove – a unique experience in itself.
- Lake Lanier water park is a pretty cool water park right on the lake and we love going there.
- Lake Lanier is famous for its Bass and Striper Fishing. We have caught some huge stripers with Shane Watson Guide service. \
- Day trips up to Helen, Ga – The German capital of Georgia or hike the falls at Amicaloa Falls
Old Federal Campground is probably one of the best campgrounds on Lake Lanier. Most all of the spots are level and long enough for big rigs. Almost every spot is right on the water and it has a pleasant environment. Between This and Baldridge it is a toss up on which is the best on the lake. Highly, Highly recommend this campground.
Other Campgrounds on Lake Lanier
- Bald Ridge Creek Campground – Gainesville, Ga
- Shady Grove Campground – Cumming, Ga
- Sawnee Campground – Cumming, Ga
- River Forks Park – Gainesville, Ga
- Don Carter State Park – Gainesville, Ga
- Bolding Mill Campground – Gainesville, Ga
- Duckett Mill Campground – Gainesville, Ga
- War Hill Park – Dawsonville, Ga
Subscribe to be kept up with all the News and Information we update to the Site!
About twice a year we take the motorhome over to Huntsville, Al to compete in a local agility Dog competition. We always enjoy going over to Huntsville. It is a cute little town with a lot of great things to do. From the Amazing Air and Space Museum, to some cool...read more
We got behind on or reviews from our last trip... This is a catch up review We are on our 2nd to the last day of our trip up to Michigan. On our way back home we needed a overnight stop near Louisville, Ky. Louisville has been a quandary for us in that we have never...read more
We have left Northern Michigan are now working our way south. Our first night we stopped at Shipshewana South Park in Shipshewana, IN. Shipshewana is of course in the heart of Amish/Mennonite country. This means cool little shops and great home style restaurants....read more