Part of the fun of traveling across the country is the opportunity to meet tons of new people and explore the different facets of life. We had always committed that when we started traveling we would want to do some volunteering to give back as part of the adventure.
As we were adding a new Blogger’s entries to the map, RVentures with Doug and Chris, we came across this great article Habitat for Humanity Build #1: Vero Beach which shares the story of How Doug and Chris participated in the Habitat for Humanity RV Care-A-Vanner program. What a great idea!
So after doing some research here is what we have learned about the program
- Habitat for Humanity has builds going on across the country at different times of the year.
- As part of this model You can sign up to work on one of these builds and they will provide you either free or very inexpensive place for you to stay while you are participating
- Any expenses you have related to getting there and while you are working on the build is likely tax deductible
- The builds may range for different times but are normally around 2 weeks
- They have limited spaces so you have to sign up ahead of time.
- You can see a list of builds available and how many motorhome spots they have available here
- The work is normally 8-3 pm with breaks in between during the day.
- There are all kinds of roles for different people depending on your capabilities.
Seems like a great opportunity to give back, get some good exercise in and meet some new people across the country.
We definitely look forward to working this into our travel plans.
Just thought I would share in case others are interested – love this idea.
Subscribe to be kept up with all the News and Information we update to the Site!
The Big Rig Map
From my Friends Bruce and Bobby M who are on the Road in the 45' American Eagle! River Cities RV Park 7213 Highway 1 North Boyce, LA 71409 http://rivercitiesrvpark.com/ June 2017 rate: $40 + $3.50 reservation fee (see below) River Cities RV Park is a very basic...
About twice a year we take the motorhome over to Huntsville, Al to compete in a local agility Dog competition. We always enjoy going over to Huntsville. It is a cute little town with a lot of great things to do. From the Amazing Air and Space Museum, to some cool...
We got behind on or reviews from our last trip... This is a catch up review We are on our 2nd to the last day of our trip up to Michigan. On our way back home we needed a overnight stop near Louisville, Ky. Louisville has been a quandary for us in that we have never...